Wells is a small cathedral city and civil parish in the Mendip district of Somerset on the southern edge of the Mendip Hills. It is approximately 22 miles south of Bristol and 5 miles west of Shepton Mallet.
The name Wells derives from the three wells dedicated to Saint Andrew, one in the market place and two within the grounds of the Bishop's Palace and cathedral. During the Middle Ages these wells were thought to have curative powers. The Wells city arms show an ash tree surrounded by three wells, with the Latin motto Hoc fonte derivata copia (the fullness that springs from this well).
Although the population, recorded in the 2001 census, is only 10,406, it has had city status since 1205. This was confirmed and formalised by Queen Elizabeth II by letters patent issued under the Great Seal dated April 1, 1974. It is the second smallest city in England, following the City of London, though St Davids in Wales is the smallest city in the UK.
During the English Civil War, Parliamentarian troops used the Cathedral to stable their horses and damaged much of the ornate sculpture by using it for firing practice. William Penn stayed in Wells shortly before leaving for America, spending a night at The Crown Inn. Here he was briefly arrested for addressing a large crowd in the market place, but released on the intervention of the Bishop of Bath & Wells.
Wells is a popular tourist destination, due to its historical sites, its proximity to Bath, Glastonbury, Cheddar and its closeness to the Somerset coast. Also nearby are Wookey Hole Caves, the Mendip Hills and the Somerset Levels.Information & text gathered from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Retrieved October 6th, 2014, from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wells